The Mild Behavioral Impairment Checklist (MBI-C)
Tech ID #: 1244.1 CONNECT WITH A MANAGER FOR LICENSING
The emergence of neuropsychiatric symptoms in older adults may provide an indicator of early neurodegenerative disease and dementia. The syndrome Mild Behavioral Impairment (MBI) describes the relationship between later-life onset of sustained neuropsychiatric symptoms and changes in behavior and personality, and the risk of cognitive decline and dementia. The International Society to Advance Alzheimer’s Research and Treatment - Alzheimer’s Association (ISTAART-AA) diagnostic criteria for MBI were published in Alzheimer's & Dementia (Ismail, et al., 2016).
Description of Technology
The MBI-C is a scale, based on the MBI criteria, designed to elicit relevant neuropsychiatric symptoms from family members and caregivers of older adults with later life emergent sustained and meaningful changes in behavior or personality. The MBI-C has research and clinical utility. In addition to helping explain changes in behavior and identify patients who require follow up, the MBI-C can increase signal detection for early neurodegenerative disease leading to earlier recruitment into disease modifying agent clinical trials.
Areas of Application
- Clinical Trials
- Clinical diagnosis, treatment and management
The MBI-C is a copyrighted checklist and is available for licensing.
- Ismail Z, Agüera-Ortiz L, Brodaty H, Cieslak A, Cummings J, Fischer CE, Gauthier S, Geda YE, Herrmann N, Kanji J, et al., 2017. The Mild Behavioural Impairment Checklist (MBI-C): A Rating scale for neuropsychiatric symptoms in pre-dementia populations. Journal of Alzheimer’s disease. 56(3): 929-938. DOI: 10.3233/JAD-160979
- Ismail Z, Smith EE, Geda Y, Sultzer D, Brodaty H, Smith G, Agüera-Ortiz L, Sweet R, Miller D, Lyketsos CG; ISTAART Neuropsychiatric Symptoms Professional Interest Area. 2016. Neuropsychiatric symptoms as early manifestations of emergent dementia: Provisional diagnostic criteria for mild behavioral impairment. Alzheimers Dement. 12(2):195-202. DOI: 10.1016/j.jalz. 2015.05.017
- Mallo S, Ismail Z, Pereiro AX, Facal D, Lojo-Seoane C, Campos-Magdaleno M, Juncos-Rabadán Onésimo. 2018. Assessing Mild Behavioral Impairment with the Mild Behavioral Impairment-Checklist in people with Subjective Cognitive Decline. International Psychogeriatrics. 18:1-9. DOI: 10.1017/S1041610218000698
- Mallo S, Ismail Z, Pereiro AX, Facal D, Lojo-Seoane C, Campos-Magdaleno M, Juncos-Rabadán Onésimo. 2018. Assessing Mild Behavioral Impairment with the Mild Behavioral Impairment-Checklist in people with Mild Cognitive Impairment. Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease. Epub. DOI: 10.3233/JAD-180131
- Explicit development as a case ascertainment instrument for Mild Behavioral Impairment, based on the ISTAART-AA diagnostic criteria
- Early identification of patients at risk of developing Alzheimer's and other dementias
Stage Of Development
The MBI-C is currently undergoing validation studies through its use in multiple observational cohorts internationally. Early validations have been published, and several others are in manuscript preparation phase.