Cell Lines Expressing Calcium Channel and Genetically-Encoded Calcium Indicators
Tech ID #: 1128.2 CONNECT WITH A MANAGER FOR LICENSING
Voltage-gated calcium channels are important conduits for the entry of Ca2+ into numerous cell types, and consequently are major therapeutic targets for several disease states linked to ion channels. Conventional electrophysiological approaches used to study ion channels present many challenges that impede novel research and drug discoveries.
Description of Technology
Cell lines functionally expressing fusion construct integrating genetically encoded calcium indicators (GECIs) and low voltage-gated calcium channels are being established. Monitoring the calcium change in cells enables new optogenetic tools that can greatly facilitate high through-put screening and the novel discovery of selective calcium channel blockers. The neurons can be used to study the link between voltage-gated calcium channel activity and neural circuit functions.
Areas of Application
- High-throughput drug screening for novel calcium channel reactants
- Cell biology, neuroscience research
- Patent Pending
- Easy to use - direct, non-invasive read out of calcium concentration changes, no chemical needed
- Activity can be monitored with a wide range of fluorescence microscopy techniques
Stage Of Development
- Laboratory test completed on both cells and neurons